Saturday, November 7, 2015

Cancer Vaccine???

Monkey had his check up at the doctor a couple weeks ago. He's 10! So weird. I still feel like he's my little boy. Anyway, while we were there, the nurse says to me, "Has anyone talked to you about the cancer vaccine?" What?! I wouldn't consider myself medically savvy, but I like to think I would know if there was a vaccine for cancer. So I say "What?" And then she drops the hammer, "the HPV vaccine." Ummmm, Hell no. I've read terrible stories about it. I don't know much else about it, but for me, it's just way too new for you to experiment with it on my kids. As far as I know, my kids don't have any extra familial risk on cancer. We've been blessed that we haven't lost any one to that terrible disease.
Now, my other issue is that, I've always loved my pediatrician's office, but now I'm kind of put off by how the nurse tried to push that on me. I'm grateful that I had actually heard of this vaccine and know that it is risky, but I fear that there are other parents may not know anything about it. I mean, when you call it the cancer vaccine, who wouldn't want to jump on that? Plus, other doctors don't give it until they're 11. When I asked about that, she tells me that they will give it as young as 9. 9! Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't HPV come from/get passed by having multiple sexual partners? Why would a 9 year old need a vaccine for basically an STD?
Like I said though, I don't know much about it and that's why I'm choosing not to give it to my kids. What did you decide? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment